A performance management plan is a tool to plan and manage the process of monitoring, evaluating, and reporting progress toward achieving an assistance objective. USAID’s Automated Directives System (ADS) 203.3.3 requires that assistance objective teams prepare a complete performance management plan for each of their assistance objectives. Among other things, a performance monitoring plan states the full set of performance indicators that the assistance objective team will use to assess progress over the life of the program. The performance management plan should also:
- Justify briefly why each performance indicator was selected.
- Provide baseline values and targeted values for each performance indicator included in the performance management plan.
- Specify the source of the data and the method for data collection in enough detail that an objective observer can understand how the raw data are collected, compiled, analyzed, and reported.
- Describe known data limitations of each performance indicator by discussing any data quality limitations and steps to be taken to address them. Assistance Objectives teams must also ensure that all data used to report performance to Washington meet USAID data quality standards.
- Describe the data quality assessment procedures that will be used to verify and validate the measured values of actual performance of all the performance information.
USAID’s Performance Management Toolkit also addresses performance management plans, stating that a complete performance management plan contains a statement of all performance indicators that will be used to assess progress over the life of the assistance objective and that performance management plans shall be reviewed and revised at least annually.
Provide staff with training regarding the requirements of performance management and evaluation and document the training.
Develop a written comprehensive performance management plan for programs.
Source: AUDIT REPORT NO. 4-663-10-003-P MARCH 30, 2010
The recommendations are derived from audit reports of the Office of the Inspector General. The source refers to the audit report, which is available on this site as part of the Audit Database Project: an educational tool for compliance with USAID regulations. Please see the disclaimer of this site before using recommendations.
|←Previous Partner Implementation Plans Lacked Vital Information – ADS 200.6||Thorough Site Visits Were Not Conducted - ADS 184.108.40.206 - ADS 202.3.6 Next→|
- Indicators Do Not Effectively Measure Program Impact - ADS 220.127.116.11 - ADS 200.2.b
- Performance Data Lacked Support - ADS 203.3
- Performance Indicators and Targets Did Not Facilitate Program Management - ADS 203.3
- Setting Performance Targets for Partners - ADS 203
- Thorough Site Visits Not Conducted - ADS 202.3 - Performance Management Toolkit
- Data Quality Assessments Not Completed - ADS 203.3.5 - Government Performance and Results Act of 1993 (Public Law 103–62) - Performance Management Toolkit
- Performance Management Plan Not Completed - ADS 203.3 - Performance Management Toolkit
- Performance Indicator Definitions Not Consistently Applied - ADS 203.3 - GAO Standards for Internal Control in the Federal Government
- Reported Results Were Not Verified – ADS 18.104.22.168. - ADS 202.3.6.
- Partner Implementation Plans Lacked Vital Information – ADS 200.6
- Thorough Site Visits Were Not Conducted - ADS 22.214.171.124 - ADS 202.3.6
- Data Quality Assessments Were Not Completed - ADS 126.96.36.199 - Performance and Results Act of 1993
- Performance Management Plan Was Not Completed - ADS 203.3.3
- Improve Data Quality and Program Monitoring - ADS 188.8.131.52 - ADS 184.108.40.206.b
- Performance Management Plans Were Not Approved - ADS 203.3.3
- Monitoring and Evaluation of Activities Was Weak - ADS 303.2(f) - ADS 220.127.116.11
- Some Results Reported by Implementing Partners Were Unsupported or Inaccurate - ADS 18.104.22.168. - ADS 22.214.171.124 - ADS 126.96.36.199
- Performance Targets Were Inconsistent - ADS 188.8.131.52 - ADS 184.108.40.206
- Impact Indicators Not Tracked - ADS 203.3.4
- Develop Indicators and Targets to Measure Progress and Achievement of Project Goals - Assistance Act of 1961, Section 621A, 22 U.S.C. 2381a - ADS 203.3.