In addition to base salary rates (click here how to calculate these), USAID follows the allowances and benefits set by the Department of State Standardized Regulations (DSSR) and volumes 3 and 14 of the Foreign Affairs Manual (FAM) and volume 3 of the Foreign Affairs Handbook (FAH).
In general, the following allowances and benefits can be provided:
|Foreign Travel Per Diem Allowances:||
The foreign travel per diem allowances provide for lodging, meals, and incidental expenses when an employee is on temporary duty overseas.
To learn more about the regulations pertaining per diem, please visit the Electronic Code of Federal regulations, Title 41 here.
More information on per diem rates overseas (outside the US) can be found here: http://aoprals.state.gov/web920/per_diem.asp
We suggest you always check the per diem rates before you travel, because they may change frequently.
|Cost of Living Allowances:||
The cost-of-living allowances relate to excess costs that you may incur as a result of your employment overseas. The allowances may include:
An important note: The cost-of-living allowances are not considered a part of taxable income for US tax payers.
More information can be found in U.S. Department of State Foreign Affairs Manual Volume 3 - Personnel.
|COLA: Click here for the percentages of COLA per country.|
|Recruitment and Retention Incentives:||
In order to provide incentives and recruit employees to posts where living conditions are difficult or even dangerous, USAID may allow:
For US tax payers, they are included in taxable income.
Danger Pay: Click here to check out the danger pay per country. Post Hardship
Differential: Click here to check out the post hardship differential per country.
For US tax payers, these allowances are not included in taxable income.
|Annual Living Quarters Allowance: Click here to check out the annual living quarters allowance per country.|
Other allowances - mainly for civil servants only, include:
|←Previous Where to Find Jobs and Business Opportunities (Bizopps) Directly with USAID?||What is the USAID Maximum Daily Rate? Next→|
- How to Guides by People In Aid
- USAID Automated Directives System (ADS) Booklet
- USAID Branding Guidelines
- Building Upon Development Experience: World Bank Toolkits
- USAID Launches New Development Experience Clearing House
- Where to Find Jobs and Business Opportunities (Bizopps) Directly with USAID?
- What is the USAID Maximum Daily Rate?
- Using NodeXL for Analyzing Stakeholders of Development Projects
- Participatory and Coercive Reform Strategies
- Red and Green Zones of Project Implementation
- Capacity Building: Internship Programs
- The Six Principles for Organizing Effective Study Tours
- Using Open-Source Software